The healthy Corner"For you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." 1 Corinthians 6:20
The healthy corner features food tips, ideas and recipes to improve, renew and rebuild your body!
July 28, 2017 World Hepatitis Day!
Viral Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver caused by a virus. There are about five different hepatitis viruses, hepatitis A, B, C, D and E
- Hepatitis A is spread mainly through eating food or drinking water that has been contaminated by faeces of an infected person. It can also be spread by eating raw shellfish that have come from water contaminated by sewage.
-Hepatitis B is transmitted through contact with the blood or other body fluids (saliva, semen, and vaginal fluid) of an infected person
-Hepatitis C is mainly spread through blood to blood contact.
-Hepatitis D is spread through contact with infected blood
-Hepatitis E is mainly transmitted through eating food or drinking water that has been contaminated by faeces of an infected person.
Viral hepatitis is one of the leading causes of death globally, accounting for 1.34 million deaths per year. Together, hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C cause 80% of liver cancer cases in the world.
World Hepatitis Day presents an ideal opportunity to join together and raise the profile of viral hepatitis among the public. For more information on this virus or World Hepatitis Day please visit www.worldhepatitisday.org
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound raw shrimp (21-25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 ears corn, husked
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- ¾ cup finely chopped red cabbage
- ¾ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup assorted cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ½ fennel bulb, halved again, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 slices crispy cooked bacon, diced
- To prepare dressing: Puree the dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- To prepare shrimp & salad: Preheat grill to medium or heat a grill pan over medium heat.
- Toss shrimp with 2 teaspoons oil, lime zest, salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Grill corn, turning occasionally, until slightly charred, 6 to 10 minutes. Grill the shrimp, turning once, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes total. Transfer corn and shrimp to a cutting board. Cut the kernels off the cob. Chop the shrimp into bite-size pieces.
- Combine lettuce, cabbage, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, fennel, avocado and bacon in a large bowl. Add the shrimp, corn and dressing; toss to coat. Season with pepper.
- DIY grill basket: It’s best to use a grill basket when grilling small ingredients so they don’t fall into the fire. If you don’t have one, fold a 24-inch-long piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this “basket” will prevent the food from sliding off the grates.